I must admit that the title is a bit of a misnomer. Of course Mums can get sick. We’re not superhuman, however much we like to think we are.
Now, before I go on, I know that Dads can get sick too, but for the purpose of this post I’m going to focus on Mums, and specifically, my own viewpoint.
I’m writing this on my mobile, tucked under a blanket. The cat on my lap, and a drink by my side. I’m ill. Not in a snuffly nose kind of way, but a full on marching band in my head, cement mixer in my stomach, pneumatic drill in my bones kind of way.
How has this affected my day to day life? Well, aside from being sent home from work on my first day back after the holidays, not much actually. And why? Because I’m a Mum.
Here’s my list of why Mums can’t get sick. I’m sure there are more reasons, so feel free to add them in the comments.
7 Reasons why Mums can’t get sick
- We know where everything is. Need the sippy cup, dummy, shoes? Mums have the location of every item mapped in their heads.
- We know what goes into the change bag / nursery bag. Leave someone else to sort the bag and there’s no guarantee that there will be a spare set of clothes in there, let alone a hat in the Winter, or sun lotion in the Summer.
- You can’t take a “sick day” from parenting. Whether you’re a SAHM, or a working mum, when you’re at home you can’t take a break.
- You can’t have a lie in. Or, if you manage to stay in bed a little longer, it’s rarely much longer. The kids will demand your attention at some point.
- You can’t take decent medication. There is no way you can risk the possibility of falling asleep, or having a muddled mind, while taking care of your little one. You just have to hope that the paracetamol, aspirin, or ibuprofen does the job.
- The baby/toddler/young child won’t care that you’re ill. Not because they don’t love you, but they see you as infallible, and as far as they’re concerned you can just crack on and make them breakfast.
- You can’t use the toilet in peace, and depending on how ill you’re feeling, you’d really like to be able to do that.
So there’s my list. I’m sure there are more reasons that I really can’t be sick, but for now I’ve got to read a book to E, show her the difference between a banana and a pear, and start preparing for tea.
Sniffles and sneezes,
Lil Jem x