I woke up Christmas Eve Eve (that’s the 23rd December for those that like to stick to regular calendar dates), to discover I had received an early Christmas present. I had been nominated for a Liebster Award. I was somewhat excited to say the least, but I must admit, I hadn’t heard of this award before. So after searching in Google, this is what I discovered:
It is said that the Liebster Award was created to recognise and/or discover new bloggers; and welcome them to the blogosphere. “Liebster” is a German word meaning beloved or dearest. This Award exists only on the internet as pixels, and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. Many see it as a way of promoting and recognising fellow bloggers, for their efforts and accomplishments in becoming a bona-fide blogger.
Well, that was the icing on the cake. A nomination by one of my blogging peers is fantastic. I was recognised by Your Average Momma, an amazing blogger who is sharing the trials and tribulations of being a new Mother in a light-hearted but enthralling way. (Don’t take my word for it. Have a look yourself).
If she hadn’t nominated me, I would probably have nominated her! So a great big THANK YOU! goes to Momma M!
Well, what next? I decided to have a look at the recommended rules of receiving a nomination:
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award AND YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, write a blog post about the Liebster award in which you:
1. Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to them on your blog.
2. Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”.
3. Answer the questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you.
4. Provide random facts about yourself.
5. Nominate blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 1000 followers.
6. Create a new list of questions for the nominees to answer.
7. List these rules in your post.
8. Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it!)
So, without further ado, here are the answers set to me by Momma M:
- What do you like most about blogging?
I’ve always enjoyed writing; creative writing and poetry ranked very high on my most favourite topics at school. But, as an adult, I found there was minimal opportunity to write anything other than work emails and birthday cards. Even social media didn’t really provide me with the platform to really explore the part of me that enjoys the written word. It took me a long time to discover and start writing a blog, but I’m so glad that I did.
2. What do you like least about blogging?
Finding the time to write a post, and finding a topic to write a post on. I try to get into the habit of noting down ideas as they pop into my head, and I also take inspiration from other bloggers, but ultimately, I know I’ll only enjoy writing about something if I’m interested in the subject matter. That can be difficult to think up at times.
3. If you could describe yourself in 3 words what would they be?
Ooh, these questions always stump me as I’m never sure if how I describe myself is how others would describe me. How about… Always on time.
4. What is your favourite book?
To Kill A Mockingbird.
This book resonated with me as a child. The unfairness in society, not only race, but sex and wealth too. I’d like to think that I’m like Atticus Finch, but I fear I’m probably more like Boo Radley.
5. If you could wake up in a different country, what country would it be?
Probably Australia. It’s a country my Husband and I would love to visit, and that would cut down on cost and travel time.
6. What is your favourite quote?
“It ain’t the blows we’re dealt with that matter, but the ones we survive” Rose Madder, Stephen King.
7. What is your favourite season?
I’m definitely an Autumn girl. I love the crisp mornings, the colours of the trees, getting to wear my cable knit jumpers, and it’s also my birthday this season.
8. If you could visit someone from the past who would it be?
I’ve never been able to answer this question. Perhaps rather than visiting someone, perse, I’d like to have been able to watch Elvis, and Freddie Mercury perform live.
9. What quality do you appreciate most in people?
Sincerity. I’d rather cut through the BS and get an honest answer. And I don’t want to hear what you think I want to hear, I’m an adult so let me deal with the given situation like one.
10. What are 3 things you cannot live without?
Literally? Food, water, and oxygen.
Figuratively? My mobile. Not that I’m addicted to it but it is my diary, my camera, my link to friends and family. It holds so many memories, and a few secrets! Coffee. I only drink two cups a day of the stuff, but that first one in the morning makes the difference between breathing and living. My daughter. She has become my absolute world. I’ve never known love like it. I’m listening to her snore while writing this and each snuffle brings me joy.
11. Which one of your blog posts is your favourite?
I think the first Diary Of A One Year Old is my favourite. It brought out that creative writing in me that as mentioned before, I really enjoy.
11 random facts about me.
- I’ve worn glasses since I was four, and even though I could use contact lenses, I prefer to wear glasses.
- I have a teddy bear called Appleby. I’ve had him since I was one, and he still lays in my bed.
- I have a degree and a PGCE for primary school teaching, but I’m not a teacher.
- I was in the audience for a recording of Trisha, and they showed me burping on the television!
- I learned to play the violin and regret not keeping that up.
- I only learned to drive when I was in my early 30s.
- My favourite author is Stephen King.
- My favourite film is It’s A Wonderful Life.
- Apart from my time as a student, I’ve always lived with a cat.
- I’ve got one younger sister.
- I once came second in an art competition, and won twenty-four cartons of Ribena!
This was the part I have loved the most. Looking at other blogs and getting a real insight to the vast creativeness out there in the blogosphere. Here are my nominations; you can check out their blogs by clicking the link:
- Unseen Beauty
- Insignificant Mom Talk
- Renovation Bay-Bee
- To Mommy or Not to Mommy
- Tales & Tan Lines
- Mum Plus One
- Welsh Cakes and Wellingtons
- Being Mum and More
- A Girl with an Issue
- Rice Cakes and Raisins
I chose the above bloggers as they offered something (to me at least) refreshing, informative, uplifting, and/or thought-provoking. Some are very new, some only post occasionally, and some have becomes pros amazingly quickly. Congratulations y’all!
My ten questions to my nominees
1. What’s something that no one would guess about you?
2. Why did you start writing a blog?
3. If you could be doing anything, anywhere right now, what and where would it be?
4. What do you wish you had done differently in your life?
5. What are you doing to improve yourself?
6. What’s one thing you’ve had to overcome in your life?
7. What’s the most important thing to you?
8. What did you learn about yourself from your previous relationships?
9. How do you handle being in a bad mood?
10. What do you wish someone would ask you?
I’m looking forward to finding out more about my nominees, and may I be the first to congratulate you, and wish you a Happy 2018!